Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Next Big Thing




Recently Sue Russell, an author friend from the UK and fellow John 4:16 member, asked me to join her in a blog event called "The Next Big Thing" where we share with our readers about our works in progress. Sue has a wonderful trilogy out--Leviaton on a Fishhook and Land of Nimrod are two of them. Her next work is A Shed in a Cucumber Field! Now that piques my interest!

I actually have two works in various stages! The first is a book of the lessons and experiences the Lord took me through and the lessons He taught me through the medium of living with multiple sclerosis, with applications to The Church today. I had several different titles over the course of pulling the pieces of this book together but have settled on the one that the Lord seems to want for it.
The second one? It is also non-ficton. I have been invited to join Dr. Jim Wilder, a psychologist, and Rev. Chris Corsey in writing a book on how joy or the lack of it affects our lives. This will be part of a series of books presenting what we consider to be a premier leadership training course called Thrive. People in each of the "seven mountains" of society will be writing a book demonstrating how joy and the lack of joy affects the lives, occupations and ministries of the people who "occupy" that mountain. The book I will help write will be written uniquely for pastors and church leadership and demonstrate the ripple effect of the benefits of joy (happy to be with you) for these key leaders. 
The Thrive training trains leaders in the 19 brain skills necessary for relationship--and those in ministry are all about relationship. I will be sharing more about this work as time goes on. We will be writing seriously this January...so more on that later. Now, to the work that is sitting on a publisher's desk!
What is the working title of your book?

Through the Wilderness…the pathway to holiness

Where did the idea for the book come from?
 
This book was all God's idea! It was 15 years in the making; it began as a result of some prophetic type people uring me to write down tha various experience I would have living with MS. All four individuals felt that my having this disease would somehow bring a message for the Church! I thought, rather cynically, "Yeah, right. I have no message and the Church does not want to hear me say 'MS sucks!'" But faithfully I recorded the experiences and lessons and filed them away. As the 15th hear came to a lose I heard from the Lord to "Put it together." And so I have.

 
What genre does your book fall under?

 
It's  rather unique--it's not really a memoir nor a devotional but it is, sort of. It is inspirational and has a prophetic element—how could it not have! One reader characterized it as a spiritual guide and adventure book. So I am not sure what genre it will fall under.


Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Each chapter is a different experience and has its own message so it really would not be suitable for a movie…at least I don’t think so, but I probably don't think like a filmmaker either!.


What is the one-sentence synopsis for your book?

It is a call to look at the difficult places in life from the perspective that life is preparing us, sculpting us into the likeness of Jesus and each time we make a godly choice in a hard place, God credits that to us as holiness!


Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I have considered making this an ebook, but I think I will try a traditional publisher first.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

Individual pieces were written in spurts over 15 years so the first compiling didn’t take more than a week.


What other books would you compare your story to within the genre?

Since it doesn’t really fit in any genre do I get to make a new one? Readers tell me that it is unique.


Who or what inspired you to write this book?

 

Holy Spirit.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

It's different! It's overtly and unapologetically Christian and invites the reader to go deeper into relationship with God; each chapter has questions to help a reader focus on various aspects of that relationship. You can go as deep with it as you want. Or, not... and it is still an interesting read. It does invite the reader to explore…

It was difficult to go 15 years without understanding what God is up to, but I am so glad that I persevered and that God shared His purpose.

I hope to hear back from the publisher within the next month about a contract. If the subject piques your interest I would appreciate your prayers that the Lord's favor would rest on the manuscript and that it would soon be on its way to print!

Holiday blessings to all!

Carol
www.fromgodsheart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment