Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Book Review: You’re Already Amazing by Holley Gerth

I would recommend You’re Already Amazing by Holley Gerth to any woman who struggles with self-confidence, her self-esteem or her relationship with the Lord--now that is a bunch of us! Holley has a soft touch; you really do feel as comfortable as you would with a friend in your kitchen or having a cup of coffee in some coffee shop with a friend. She does not push, but quietly and confidently opens the door and invites you in…to places you don’t want to go alone. You come through that open door using the short exercises included throughout each chapter and find your savior waiting, happy to see you!

Holley doesn’t waste time; she wades right in and smacks that old lying serpent on the snout! She calls a lie a lie and helps a person see themselves through God’s eyes of love and how "being me" is the biggest and best gift I can give others (The Body of Christ). She

·       helps me see how lies have affected me

·       helps me see my skills and strengths

·       discusses why I feel the way I do

·       where I am going in life

·       who is with me (dealing with self-confidence and who is a safe person)

·       how I connect most comfortably with others

·       encourages me to be myself because God made me and I bring something to life and my community that no one else can

She deftly turns from helping us look within with God’s eyes and segues to looking at where God wants us to go and what He expects of us as opposed to other’s expectations and self expectations. She carefully helps you break down what God expects of you into next appropriate steps. I loved how she ended the book with a series of truths that ring as clear as church bells.

Many times as I read I would find the book in my lap and realize that I had stopped reading and was deep in conversation with the Lord. Holley came along side and with step after step she took the overwhelming part out of the task of becoming “me” and making God proud—He is already proud of each of His children because we are already amazing! Too many times we do not know that.

Another feature of this book that I think many will find helpful is the “Go Deeper Guide” at the end of the book for individuals and groups who want to take things more in depth.

This review is by Carol Brown, author of The Mystery of Spiritual Sensitivity and Highly Sensitive. I wrote it in response to a free copy of You’re Already Amazing, published by Revell, a division of Baker that was sent me by (in)courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment